Monday, 13 August 2007

Should you ever become disillusioned...




There are times when we become complacent and feel that we are but small links in a chain, small cogs in a vast machine; and that we can simply do nothing to alter the Universe, nor, more significantly, the state of the Church....

Primarily we must remember that the Church precedes Creation; NOT the other way round....
Secondly we have the powerful resource available to any - prayer.
Thirdly, the price is too high NOT to act....

My partner and three children are away on holiday till the weekend, so life has been pretty lonely - a lot of time has been spent reading other catholic blogs and I came across a name from the past - Richard McBrien [for two seconds I did get confused with the rocky-horror bald man who ran around the crystal maze] - regrettably this is a 'theologian and commentator' - I remember upon entering seminary having to write an essay on confession and so strolled around the library looking for resources.
McBrien's 'Catholicism' came in two large volumes : thinking size mattered I hauled them back to my bedroom and began to read - the moment 'Fr' McBrien started to inform me that 'The sacrament of Reconciliation didn't REALLY absolve one from one's sins' I uttered a loud defamatory curse word and launched both volumes out the open window (almost caving in Fr Anthony Kay [Salford's beautifully-souled vocations director] 's head in the process!)
I never thought that the 'McBrien influence' was of any import - I thought he'd dissipated into obscurity - BOY was I wrong !!!
If you ever need reassurance as to why we are fighting for the heart and Soul of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church, please, please, please go to this link and read this poor man's reprehensibly ill-informed heterodox diatribes and realise that the struggle goes on....

http://www.richardmcbrien.com/

No comments: