Sunday, 27 January 2008

Another belated meme I didn't get round to doing.....


WHOM WERE YOU NAMED AFTER?
Well for the first week I was called David, but whether my name Paul had anything to do with the amount of grief the Pope was getting when I was born [25th July 1968 - the day Humanae Vitae was published] changed my mum's mind to name me after His Holiness ? Who can say ? Nevertheless by the time I was Baptized ten days later I was Paul.

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU CRIED?
Friday night in pain while the blood was dripping over my face [split my head open] last film I cried to was 'Happy Times [Hotel]' - A MUST SEE FILM!!!



DO YOU LIKE YOUR HANDWRITING
well I don't really write much anymore - it's pretty small but very neat after an hour's breaking in - my teachers liked it so I suppose so yes.

WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE LUNCH MEAT?
Carver Ham - on hot buttered toast.

DO YOU HAVE KIDS?
Three - Jamie 14, Rowan 12 , Jonathan 11 [plus 2 in heaven [Nicky miscarried twice]]

IF YOU WERE ANOTHER PERSON WOULD YOU LIKE YOURSELF?
Yes. I may want to ram my head in a tv set but I'd still love me, ask me if I knew the answer to something, or come to me in a crisis for advice , I may not like me a lot - but I'd love me.

DO YOU USE SARCASM A LOT?
Yes, I'm british for crying out loud !

DO YOU STILL HAVE YOUR TONSILS?
No. They took them out when they removed my adenoids [used to sound like kenneth williams on helium]

WOULD YOU BUNGEE JUMP?
No. It's stupid.

WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE CEREAL?
Ready brek with two ton of cocoa and sugar in it - but otherwise crunchy nut cornflakes.


DO YOU UNTIE YOUR SHOES WHEN YOU TAKE THEM OFF?
Most definitely ! had too many clips around the ear over the decades from my father not to !!!

DO YOU THINK YOU ARE STRONG?
Surprisingly so - I look a weedy nerdy type but I'm wiry - I always answer using the old line from Spartacus 'I'm strong enough to be weak' but that has a tendency to induce nausea in everyone who knows me.

WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE ICE-CREAM?
Mint Choc Chip, or a really good strawberry/ vanilla...

WHAT IS THE FIRST THING YOU NOTICE ABOUT A PERSON?
Everything ! I'm one of those sherlock holmes types who notices and assesses hundreds of minutiae within milliseconds - think it might be something autistic but I surprise myself in what I do notice...and what I discern/conclude from it.





RED OR PINK
Neither

WHAT IS THE LEAST FAVOURITE THING ABOUT YOU?
My horrendous time-keeping and unreliability ; well that and my inability to get anything right - come to think of it - not much !! I'm a waste of space...

WHOM DO YOU MISS THE MOST?
My Gran - my dad's mum - she was everything to me.






WHAT COLOUR OF PANTS AND SOCKS ARE YOU WEARING?
White tighty whities - white towelling socks - never wear anything different.

WHAT WAS THE LAST THING YOU ATE?
The remains of the crusty loaf with the last dried up chunk of cheese - drowned in coffee.


WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW?
Ravel's Bolero , started off listening to mahler's 7th [1st movement] but changed it.

IF YOU WERE A CRAYON WHAT COLOUR WOULD YOU BE?
Shiny silver

FAVOUTIE SMELLS.
Bleach, Green-tea fabric conditioner, baby lotion, coffee, lemon balm , mince on the stove...



WHO WAS THE PERSON YOU LAST TALKED TO ON THE PHONE
My father about a funeral tomorrow.

DO YOU LIKE THE PERSON WHO SENT THIS TO YOU? Of Course I do ; um I can't remember who sent me this...but I like them anyway -

HAIR COLOUR?
Has been every colour under the sun - is really grey but will be ash brown for the foreseeable future

EYES COLOUR/
Blue/grey




FAVOURITE FOOD
Steak Pie with Mash - or Shepherd's pie - but no veg or tomato puree [I'm allergic to tomatoes] although I am partial to the odd jaffa cake and cheese on toast is heavenly

SCARY MOVIES OR HAPPY ENDINGS?
South east asian Horror movies frighten the winkies out of me. By Happy Endings if you mean Field of Dreams or Random Harvest happy - yes - if you mean schmaltzy yucky sickly hollywood endings - NO!!! Goodby Mr Chips and Spartacus are really sad endings but they are brilliantly inspiring and make me happy !!



LAST MOVIE YOU WATCHED?
Does a TV movie count ? Ransom for a Dead man - the second columbo starring Lee Grant




WHAT IS THE COLOUR OF THE SHIRT YOU ARE WEARING? White - it's invariably white.

SUMMER OR WINTER?
Definitely Winter - I detest the heat

HUGS OR KISSES.
We hardly know each other - I'm an extraordinarily huggy individual - man, woman or goat !!!


FAVOURITE DESSERT - Daft question - it's like asking what's your favourite book - there are too many desserts - each fitting the right mood for the right occasion - I'm british - I love me pudd'ns - ice cream, stodgy sponge puddings with custard, new york vanilla cheesecake, tiramasu, rhubarb crumble , assorted yoghurts and mousses - anything with chocolate in it !!!


WHAT BOOK[S] ARE YOU READING NOW.
The Pope's 'Jesus of Nazareth' ,

Introducing Radical Orthodoxy [various] ,

Hans Urs von Balthasar's "Love Alone is Credible",

Trudi Canavan's 'Black Magicians Trilogy',

Alastair Reynold's 'Chasm City',

Justina Robson's 'Keeping it real',

Sergei Lukyanenko's 'Nightwatch' ,

C.J. Cherryh's 'Cyteen' ,

Balzac's 'Lost Illusions',

Hans Bemmann's 'The Stone & The Flute',

Coren's 'Complete Bridge',

Stephen Pinker's 'The Blank Slate'

....and a few Storm Constantine novels .

Oh and I'm reading Flaubert's 'Salammbo' online while waiting for the broadband to work....I'm reading a lot less because I'm supposed to be writing !!!



WHAT IS ON YOUR MOUSE PAD.
3D Dolphins - did have Mr Burns but it became too shiny


WHAT DID YOU WATCH ON TV LAST NIGHT?
um...Nightwatch [Russian fantasy] , episode of the IT crowd , episode of the smoking room , Waterloo [Rod Steiger & Christopher Plummer] on DVD, played the QI DVD game, watched a Documentary on the Pharaohs, the great Hong Kong Film 'Infernal Affairs 2', fell asleep watching an episode of House season 4 on the PC - awoke to that dire banal Nicky Campbell religious programme on BBC1 so turned it over to good old Upstairs Downstairs; then Spongebob Squarepants.


ROLLING STONES OR BEATLES?
The Rolling Stones ; sorry , although I loved George I always thought the Beatles were over-rated [although about half a dozen songs are classics]; and Paul McCartney's musical record ever since seems to confirm my worst suspicions - I never liked John Lennon - I think 'Imagine' is a nasty small-minded song and he just makes me shiver slightly.






WHAT IS THE FURTHEST YOU HAVE BEEN FROM HOME?
Probably Pittsburgh , or maybe Erie or somewhere in Canada - would need to measure it on a map...

DO YOU HAVE A SPECIAL TALENT? An encyclopedic mind, but I've been graced with a really deep empathy that allows people to talk to me about anything....even my worst enemies have used me as a shoulder to cry on. It's a double-edged sword

WHERE WERE YOU BORN?
In St Mary's Maternity hospital in Kettering, which is now a mental institution which probably indicates a lot...I was brought up in Corby until I left for seminary in 1987

DO YOU WEAR CONTACTS
Yes

No comments: