Monday, 18 February 2008

And who said Americans had no taste ?


It's called the Transfiguration dome - Just completed at the National Shrine to the Immaculate Conception in Washington D.C. - I went there four years ago - Now parts of it are wonderful ; but I have to say I was deeply saddened at the 'Our Lady of Hope Chapel' [Good old Bob and Dolores really shouldn't have bothered!!!] and when I went to confession I must admit it felt a little bit more like [in design] a brothel than a basilica....

...and now they have this monstrosity - doesn't it look like someone has cut out some pictures from a naff 1920's bible and pasted them on the ceiling ? Like something out of Monty Python - just waiting for a giant foot and raspberry sound ? Was it designed by someone with Daltonism and Astigmatism ?

Now I truly apologise to all my fellow U.S. Bloggers with a modicum of aesthetic sensibility [Karen, Terry etc, who are more artistically inclined than I could ever be ] for suggesting more money than sense was used in this endeavour - but boy is it hideous !!!!!

No comments: