Wednesday, 4 June 2008

Belated Birthday Wishes 2 - 1st June - Deborah Scalise Ukok






A barrel-load of prayers and good intentions to
one of our best catholic bloggers ; especially considering the way she can raise our spirits when life has thrown more than a fair share of adversity at both her and her family.



Anyway as she's invariably spreading the love around ; I thought I'd do her meme, especially when e-mails ask the questions and I ignore them - will bite the bullet and say an act of humility.








What time is your alarm clock set to? Well Jay has the alarm clock as I sleep through alarms [I could sleep through the march on Stalingrad !] and he wakes me at around 5.30 a.m. I have to ensure I maintain a sleep pattern in order to rise; this week I was up all night on two separate occasions with Rowan and then Jonathan being violently sick and unable to reach the bathrom in time - after six hours scrubbing the stairs and hallway have never been cleaner or more sterile !! [groan!] No matter what time I awake I'm invariably late for work anyway. I'm late for everything.

What is the first thing you notice about the opposite sex? It's never one thing : Working in a shop I have to deal with many female customers and you have to quickly deduce all manner of things from their demeanour and speech intonation - and consequently how to act [with humour, empathy or apologetically -sometimes conspiratorially] . If the question is about what attracts me, it's hair, eyes and voice.

Do you think people talk about you behind your back? What's it Oscar Wilde says ? The only thing worse than people talking about you is their not talking about you. I think people do - I'm a disappointment to many, am never the most reliable, and have a predilection to rub people up the wrong way; together with having a vast array of faults and deficiencies I have to guess they do. Although I've been lucky enough never to overhear it - I have little confidence and I think I would scar me for life. I can cope with the obvious fact that people do; but couldn't really cope with the reality of it.

What movie do you know every line to? Well my memory's failing but I could have a good crack at huge chunks of : Spartacus, Some Like it Hot, Sons of the Desert, Carry on Screaming/Spying , Random Harvest , Operation Crossbow, Orphee, The Ninth Gate, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, My Fair Lady and The Sound of Music plus a few foreign ones. Embarassingly I can sing the Disney 'Hunchback of Notre Dame' from start to finish [It was Jonathan's favourite film for years !]

What is your favorite movie? Three Colours: Red [my mate Dean thinks I say this because I'm pretentious - but it really is my favourite - even if I regulate my watching of it in order not to spoil it . I watch Nightwatch and Hero regularly

Is anyone in love with you? Pass. Can we ever be sure ? Whatever the answer I know I don't deserve it. I am told I am loved and hope it's the case.

Do you eat breakfast daily? A Grande-Tasse of Coffee every morning, two coffees mid-morning, coffee, vitamin pills and maybe cereal or a cheese sandwich early afternoon after work - I don't really eat [maybe a cooked meal twice a week -and that's forcing myself]


Do you sleep on your side, stomach or back? On my side in the foetal position.

Who was the last person to make you mad ? Well do you count the half-dozen who have already enraged me on radio 4's today programme or people I interact with ? If it's the latter it has to be work colleagues : Not the lazy ones [I can cope with that] ; it's the uncaring and thoughtless ones. Even though I'm a rampant leftie virtually anyone from new labour makes my blood boil ; and Tony Blair and his entourage of reprobates makes me rend my shirt even more than Thatcher ever could.

Are you a lover or a fighter? Both -all the time ! Is it ever possible to be one and not the other ?

Are you a morning or evening person? Neither: I'm a night person.

Are you a cuddler? Ask anyone - I'm always the first to hug. I think it's the only aspect of my children's lives I've personally nurtured.

Are you a perfectionist? Well I'm an enigma anyway: In some things I will be a hyper-perfectionist to the point of obsession ; in others I'm either more laissez-faire or full of good intentions but incapability prevents its fulfillment.

Have you ever written a poem? Yes : stupid comic things at school ; narcissistic sesquipedalian tomes later on, silly rhymes for the kids. Must have written dozens over the years but now thankfully they have either been consigned to the flames or the landfill.


Do you have more guy or girl friends? Um , I don't really have any friends - work associates, yes; people from the distant past with whom I keep in contact ; but regular hang-around friends ? Sorry, just not a very social person.



How many tickets have you gotten? Um - Gotten ? Are we back at the peasants' revolt ? Sorry just hate americanese like buoy [boo-wee] , acclimate and debark. None: Can't drive - Nicky's never received a ticket though.



Piercings? Had my ear pierced for a few months when I was nineteen ; but having a father who thinks having a ponytail is akin to being found in bed with the milkman I let it heal over when I returned home.



Do you have a tattoo? No ; but have worn fake chinese/ethnic and henna tattoos all over in many designs for years.



Are you patient? Depends: I tend to be of extremes in this regard. I have no qualms waiting for hours in a queue or for someone else - but when the broadband is slow I want to put my fist through the monitor.



Do you miss anyone right now? I miss everyone - kids when they're at school, Nicky when she's at work, family, people I haven't seen in decades [even those who hate my guts] I really miss my friend in Japan; but I don't like to think about it as some people were really close friends and then moved away and forgot me. It happens ! What's more frustrating is when people 'mis-remember' or deliberately choose to forget past relationships - it's the way it goes. One person in particular thinks I'm some sort of satan-spawn and I have no idea why - it's sad.



Tea or coffee? Coffee: too much coffee.



Regularly burn incense? Yes; but always the fresh citrus/alpine type or ylang-ylang/patchouli . Hate the spicy/musky ones and the chocolate/coffee ones are just awful



Ever been in love? Never been out of it [for my sins]



Best room for a fireplace? Would like an open fire in every room [except maybe the toilet]



What do you do when you’re sad or upset? Resort to legal stimulants, read my favourite books , re-enact it out in the mirror , visit the cemetery and talk it out with relations, clean the house or sort out the bookshelves. Spend a long time doing logic puzzles



Afraid of heights? Terrified ; except when I'm climbing .



Can you change the oil in your car? I don't even know how to open the bonnet or boot - I can just about fill it with petrol



Favorite flower? Don't know what they're called ; think the name begins with an A ; but they've really dark green and white petals.


Favorite hangout? Home [playing boardgames with the kids] or Coffee shop [reading something academic] or reading novels under any available tree



Middle name[s]? Ivan James Christopher Harkins



Most romantic sounding language? Ayrshire accent: French language



Ever been overseas? Lived in Ireland, travelled round Northern Europe with school , Lived in USA

1 comment:

ukok said...

Paul, i am so touched by this, thanks so much for the Birthday wishes and for featuring me in one of your posts!

God Bless you!