Monday, 28 January 2013

A prayer of St. Thomas Aquinas, in hopes for the grace towards a Devout Life


Grant me, O merciful God,
to desire eagerly,
to investigate prudently,
to acknowledge sincerely,
and to fulfill perfectly
those things that are pleasing to You,
to the praise and glory of Your Holy Name.

Do You, my God, order my life;
and grant that I may know what you would have me do;
and give me to fulfill it as is fitting and profitable to my soul.

Grant me, O Lord my God,
the grace not to fall either in prosperity or adversity,
that I be not unduly lifted up by the one,
nor unduly cast down by the other.

Let me neither rejoice nor grieve at anytime,
save in what leads to You
or leads away from You.
Let me not desire to please anyone,
nor fear to displease anyone
except You.

Let all things that pass away seem vile in my eyes,
and let all things that are eternal be dear to me.
Let me tire of that joy which is without You,
neither permit me to desire anything that is outside You.
Let me find joy in the labour that is for You;
and let all repose that is without You be tiresome to me.


Give me, my God, the grace to direct my heart towards You,
and to grieve continuously at my failures,
together with a firm purpose of amendment.

O Lord my God,
make me obedient without dispute,
poor without despondency,
chaste without stain,
patient without complaint,
humble without pretence,
cheerful without indulging the senses,
serious without being morose,
active without recklessness,
fearful of You without despair,
truthful without double-dealing,
devoted to good works without presumption,
ready to correct my neighbour without arrogance,
and to edify him by word and example, without hypocrisy.

Give me, Lord God,
a watchful heart which shall not be distracted from You by
vain thoughts;
give me a generous heart which shall not be drawn downward by any
unworthy affection;
give me an upright heart which shall not be led astray by any
perverse intention;
give me a stout heart which shall not be crushed by any adversity;
give me a free heart which shall not be claimed as its own by any
unregulated affection.

Bestow upon me, O Lord my God,
an understanding that knows You,
diligence in seeking You,
wisdom in finding You,
a way of life that is pleasing to You,
perseverance that faithfully waits for You,
and confidence that I shall embrace You at the last.

Grant that I may be chastised here by penance,
that I may make good use of Your gifts in this life by Your grace,
and that I may partake of Your joys in the glory of heaven:
Who lives and reigns;
world without end.
Amen.

No comments: