Saturday, 6 July 2013

Why I'm not going to write on Lumen Fidei



'Spe Salvi' changed my life.
I cannot remember a word of it because it's now part of what makes me-me!
It's like the mental processes of my soul were irrevocably altered and there wasn't a time when I didn't understand - Spe Salvi answered uncertainties, gave reassurances - rewrote reality.
The genius of the wisdom of the ages echoed through every turn of phrase; it was like some ageing professor providing me with an answer to questions I thought insoluble - or a doctor telling me that there was an illness which caused all my diverse and ostensibly unrelated symptoms and that I'm now cured!
It opened new worlds to me - answered so many questions - explained the difficulties [and remember Cardinal Newman said 10,000 difficulties never amount to one doubt] that I now cannot imagine life not knowing those answers.
Reading Spe Salvi I wept profusely and couldn't stop myself - choking at it's beauty and truth and inherent  all-encompassing reality - it's like reading John's Gospel or Romans 8 or 1 Corinthians 15 for the first time...
Life would not - could not - ever be the same again...



Now I believe that that process began again when His Holiness Benedict XVI sought to write his encyclical on Faith - but this time he sought to provide that intense simplicity beyond complexity to arrive at the most childlike of encyclicals that was going to state that which should have been blatantly obvious to the faithful - but was not...
A Paternal guide to how simple yet mysteriously profound Faith is - devoid of the quasi-complexities and obfuscations and pseudo-intellectual self-indulgences...this was to be less a symphony and more a sonata - where the minimalism accentuated the depth....the melody would be so infused into our memories that we could hum it gently to ourselves deep within - or whistle reassuringly along lonely dark paths which we must tread carrying our crosses with no apparent light at the end - as a guarantee that our Faith will make us endure....


The most beautiful piece of music ever written by Mahler is only 45notes long - it's within the second movement of his 8th symphony - the descent of Mater Gloriosa [Our Lady] - and for a few brief seconds one is transfixed into eternity - one stands at the very threshhold of Heaven - and I defy anyone to listen to the sonorous string tones with flowing woodwind without the tears flowing...[from 55.00 on video]

I believe it was His Holiness Pope Benedict's intention to write a simple hymn to God who has graced us with Faith...
With arduous ferour I believe His Holiness mined deep into the seemingly unending  seams of precious metals and minerals within the depths of the Church's riches of tradition with the intention of creating a royal coronet to place before His Lord and King - to exert all his final gifts of knowledge, wisdom, insight and his wondrous ability to synthesise and create heretofore unexplored harmonies - to allow the radiance of the gems to shine from new facets through the reflection of other gems....



But it was not to be....
How it happened or why it happened is something about which I refuse to speculate.
Instead we have a document which contains these separate unpolished, unfinished gems in dissociate parts - rather than a royal diadem we have a dream catcher where the gems catch the sunlight separately but are held together amidst wool, feathers and small mirrors - where although the truth and jaw-dropping wonder at the affinities, analogies and mental acuities are never denied their ability to glow or shine - they do not sparkle..they are not a reflective holism....there are brief moments of greatness, brief bars of unforgettable melody and harmony...but this is deplete...unfinished..diamonds in the ash...

Pope Benedict has been denied his triumphant finale...
A final act of humility?
The greatest genius-Pope being denied his ability to manifest his giant intellect...

I'm reminded of St Bernadette upon her deathbed whispering: "The spring is not for me"
The masterpiece which could have been...was not for Pope Benedict.
God's ways are not our ways....[Thank God!]
...but the reasons why His Holiness Emeritus was deprived of this triumphant final bow to posterity has an answer....and one day we will know.

Lumen Fidei should be read - MUST be read - because despite all its limitations it contains eternal truths which we are so often apt to forget or ignore or even deny...

But for now in this regard: I fall silent.



1 comment:

Supertradmum said...

Love Mahler-he was my guru in the 1970s for sanity in music.

You DID write about the new encyclical...duh.

I am not commenting on it either, and cannot understand the raptures I see online.

I cried reading Caritas in Veritate, http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/encyclicals/documents/hf_ben-xvi_enc_20090629_caritas-in-veritate_en.html

and have many posts on it under LOVE on my blog. But, silence can be deafening....